Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ice cream and cake and cake



In almost no time at all, Baskin Robbins earned cult status with its super cute commercial featuring crudely animated characters that dance to a simple message:

"Ice cream and cake, and cake
Ice cream and cake, do the ice cream and cake"



When I first saw the ad, I was taken by how catchy it was, and found myself repeating the silly lyrics every time the commercial aired. In fact, I told my wife about the commercial, and after watching it, both of us would sing and do the robot dance. Thinking it was just us, it soon became clear that this simple little commercial was a hit, in the realm of Head-On, and other effective, low budget commercials.



Kudos to the ad team for Baskin Robbins. Had I been on the roundtable in the ad department, I'd probably be a little skeptical about letting this air, but sometimes you can't express Zeitgeist on paper, and this commercial has soul.

No comments: